Friday, November 02, 2007

The Blonde Canadian leaves teaching - another loss to the profession

I was sad to see that the Blonde Canadian is leaving teaching. I have enjoyed her posts in this area and know that she was a dedicated teacher. Good luck BC. I hope that you enjoy the corporate world.

BC's last post on her reasons for leaving is worth reading.

She makes the point, others have made it too, is that it is not just money that is causing the loss of young teachers. A second core problem is the lack of respect accorded the profession. Teachers as a profession are central to this country's future because they teach our young.

2 comments:

Koren said...

Thank you for your kind words, Jim. They touched me greatly.

Walking away hasn't been an easy decision. More than anything else I know I'll miss the contact with the kids. They're the best part of this job and I think I'll really notice their absence in the new job.

At the end of the day though it was time for me to get out. I didn't want to become one of those crotchety teachers who stays for too long and ends up resenting the very things that make it worthwhile.

Jim Belshaw said...

I know that you will miss the kids, BC. But can't have a crotchety BC!