Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The life of my grandfather part 4

Drummond's life 4 - Towards Centre Stage: Public life 1922-1927 continues my biography of David Drummond. It covers NSW politics, including the transformation of the Progressive Party to the Country Party, fights over railways and the Sydney Harbour Bridge Bill; along with continued new state agitation at state and national level, including the initially disastrous Cohen Royal Commission and the further articulation of the Movement's constitutional position.

It's interesting revisiting my writing after all this time. I haven't tried to edit. I think that it still stands up okay although there are some changes I would make now, especially if editing for publication.

The period is an interesting one for a variety of reasons, including the fact that the Progressives had to deal with many of the same issues that now face the Greens. The constitutional arguments are also directly relevant to debate today, although one could wish in a sense that that were not true.

No comments: