Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Currency equals currency on the internet

I didn't have time this morning to write here. Tonight it's late - I played tennis with my girls, started tea and then responded to a few comments.

It appears that Andrew Bolt is to grace Sydney radio.  This comment will be totally obscure to international readers. I simply note that if you want to make money in our internet world, be current. Target you writing to a specific audience. Keep your writing short so that your audience doesn't have to think. Throw in some controversy so that you will be attacked and defended. Then let it all roll.

I know how to do it. I just don't want to. It's not envy or jaundice. It's not an inflated sense of my own importance. I just live in a different world.   

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim

re your various comments on blogging v twitter and fb, I was thinking yesterday about Tim Blair's efforts (which last time I checked seemed mostly to be of the provocative, sub-editor-headline sort) and how he would possibly qualify as a successful twitter-blogger?

Anyway, was prompted to put this thought on paper in light of your own comments in this post.

kvd

Anonymous said...

Also, on Bolt, I understood that both he and Steve Price were on uncompleted contracts with the Macquarie Group - so it was either pay them to sit on their hands, or pay them to talk.

Not much management choice there.

ha! - one of the wv's is "onsindi" - which is where they'll be!

kvd

Jim Belshaw said...

Good morning, kvd. Tim does classify as a success in the sense he makes money!

Didn't know about the Bolt contract. Laughed at "onsindi". Probably should be "onsidni."

Rod said...

I think Bolt's blogs are more about political entertainment (yes, that sounds strange). He blogs and comments on a more than superficial level, but less than a detailed level. This means that it is not detailed enough to be informative but is enough for people to touch on the subject and be engaged enough for Bolt to make an exciting opinion that hits hard (just like some commercial current affairs programs). I think it was that bunch of weirdos, The Chaser who bought the excellent term news-tainment into more popular use. I think Bolt is on the news-tainment level.

Jim Belshaw said...

I think that's a fair comment, Rod!