Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Australian Education Debate - - of international significance?

For the benefit of international readers, the looming Australian Federal election has brought to a head a growing but long overdue debate about future directions in Australian education.

My feeling is that the issues in the debate are likely to be of interest not just to Australians but to all those with an interest in education.

So far I have not commented because I have been trying to structure issues in my mind. One of the problems with Australia's supermarket approach to public policy and politics is that it is very easy to get lost in detail, to fail to see patterns and implications. I think that there is a real risk of this happening on the education side.

I will comment. In the meantime, Neil's (Ninglun's) posts provide an interesting introduction to some of the issues, accepting that Neil is writing from a particular perspective.

No comments: