Saturday, June 09, 2012

A new dining room table

I bought a new dining room table today, together with six chairs. I really hadn't intended too. It was just one of those impulse buys.

Kingsford Retravision is just down the road from my new house. I wandered in to look for a few chairs to grace the trestle table in my new kitchen. There was a compact unit in the right colour that would fit in my kitchen with six chairs but could be extended to sit more.

I actually have a nice cedar dining room table in storage with my cousin in Wagga Wagga, but it's too big and I really don't want to put it in the kitchen exposed to all the cooking fumes. I looked at the table, and then Dennis came up.

He wasn't pushy, just helpful. I said that I liked it but didn't have the cash to pay for it. He said that's okay, put a deposit on it and well will hold it for a month. I said I can't even do that. I won't have a deposit until my next pay. That's alright, he said. We will hold it for a month anyway. So I bought it.

Delivery is free since I am so close.

I really looking forward to holding some dinners around it. I am actually a very social person. For a number of reasons I haven't been able to do this - to entertain - in recent times. Now I can.

My new house isn't in any way posh, but then I'm not either. I have no pretensions. While I enjoy high life and indeed dine out on stories from my past, it's not important. People are important.

I am looking forward to making my simple house a social centre, a place that is warm and welcoming. Out the back I have a garden with an outdoor table that can provide a base for BBQs. So inside and outside I am getting set up.

I have already invited Neil to stay. Of course, in a big metro city like Sydney it's just so much harder. Transport times are a huge burden. Yet I would like to think that my place might provide a node that would link our on-line interaction to direct human contact. We will see. It's just an immediate objective.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim

Speaking of invites, you know you also have a standing invitation down my way - since you mentioned being sociable and all. Haven't mentioned it in a while, but you'd be very welcome.

kvd

Rummuser said...

You are the first person ever that I know who has bought a dining set on an impulse! Congratulations. You are awesome!

You would not terribly mind my inviting myself to visit you when I come over would you? I know that Neil is likely to be better company, but I can be quite entertaining too.

Neeless to say, I join KVD in extending my invitation to you too. You may have to sleep on the divan but I assure you that it is the best bed in the house. I should know. I have lost count of the number of times that I was banished to it during my long married life. I also spent three full months on it post my surgery end of last year.

I can be an awesome host too!

And I just noticed that the captcha code reads ere arse!

Jim Belshaw said...

Thanks, kvd. Really appreciated. Ramana, I would love to have you stay! And I would to visit Pune. In fact, it was on my list.

I can be an impulsive person. Some of the worst decisions I have made as well as the best have been on pure impulse.

Evan said...

Wishing you lots of great times. The pleasures of hospitality I don't think can be overestimated.

Jim Belshaw said...

Thank you, Evan. You are dead right!